Easter Sunday - Year C
21st April 2019
Palm Sunday - Year C
14th April 2019
5th Sunday of Lent - Year C
7th April 2019
4th Sunday of Lent - Year C
31st March 2019
3rd Sunday of Lent - Year C
24th March 2019
2nd Sunday of Lent - Year C
17th March 2019
1st Sunday of Lent - Year C
10th March 2019
8th Sunday of Ordinary Time-Year C
3rd March 2019
7th Sunday of Ordinary Time | Year C
February 24, 2019
Lent is approaching
- Ash Wednesday – March 6 – list of times for each Mass centre
- Lenten Reflection booklet (pictured right)
- Stations of the Cross
- Fr Maurice Shinnick's illustrated reflection on Wednesday March 27
Also in this issue:
- March 2/3 – Day of the Unborn Child Appeal
- March 1 – World Day of Prayer
- March 3 – An afternoon with Fiona O'Loughlin
- February 27 and March 13 – Adelaide free Fringe lunchtime concerts
Download pdf below for details of the above.
6th Sunday of Ordinary Time | Year C
February 17 2019
Message from Bishop Gregory O'Kelly SJ
My Sisters and Brothers,
We should all be extremely concerned about the proposed Abortion Law Reform Bill introduced late last year by Greens MP Tammy Franks which is due for debate in the Legislative Council in coming weeks.
This bill drastically reduces safeguards for the unborn. Abortions may be conducted even well into the ninth month of pregnancy. The unborn deserve love and protection, not destruction.
(More in PDF below)
- Click here to read and download Bishop Greg's full message and letter from Dr Elvis Šeman
Also in this issue
- Statue of Mary in the Cathedral
- Sacred Concert Irish Singer David Parkes
- World Day of Prayer
- Financially supporting the parish
- Lent is approaching
- Catholic panel on asylum seekers
- plus more - please download PDF below
5th Sunday of Ordinary Time | Year C
February 10 2019
Listening Gathering for the National Plenary Council
- Queen of Angels, South Rd., Thebarton, February 16 and 17 – Parishioners at Thebarton and beyond will gather on February 16 after the Vigil Mass and on February 17 after the 9.30am Mass to make their contributions to the Plenary Council being held in 2020.
- St Mary’s Church, Stanley St., North Adelaide Monday 18th February 7pm for 7.30pm start.
– Parishioners at St Mary’s and beyond are invited to a Listening Forum, gathering the comments, insights, hopes and concern of Catholics in preparation for the first session of the Australian Plenary Council in 2020. This Council will shape the Catholic Church in Australia for many decades.
- Discover & Rediscover Evening with Fr Peter Zwaans: Heaven "What no eye has seen – February 15.
- A journey of discovery, married, religious and priestly life – February 16.
- Advocacy and Service for people seeking asylum – February 18.
- Sacred Concert Irish singer David Parkes – February 24
To read more of the above events and for more parish news please download pdf below.
4th Sunday of Ordinary Time | Year C
February 3 2019
World Day of Prayer for the Sick – Monday February 11, 10am, St Francis Xavier's Cathedral – During this Mass the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick will be celebrated. In the renewal of the liturgy following the Second Vatican Council this Sacrament was ‘rediscovered’ by Catholics. It used to be called Extreme Unction (last anointing) and people had the idea that it was to be received only just before death. The Council took us back to the original name and spirit of Anointing of the Sick. Being a Sacrament of healing, the Anointing is received during sickness of some seriousness, before surgery, during chronic illness, in depression and anxiety.
Feast of St Josephine Bakhiti – Sunday February 10, 2.30pm, St Francis Xavier's Cathedral. All welcome.
Plenary Council meeting – Monday February 18, 7pm, St Mary's Church. All welcome.
Please download pdf below for more parish news.
3rd Sunday of Ordinary Time | Year C
January 27 2019
- Children's preparation for the Sacraments of First Reconciliation, Confirmation and First Holy Communion 2019 – applications are now open for children in Year 4 and above to prepare for the reception of these Sacraments to be received later in 2019.
More info: P: 8232 8688 or E: email@example.com
- Sacramental Coordinator position - 15 hours per week – more details in newsletter
- Shared lunch at the Cathedral on February 10 - please bring a plate to share. More details in newsletter.
- Please download newsletter below for more info.
2nd Sunday of Ordinary Time | Year C
January 20 2019
What's happening in the Cathedral parish?
- Sunday Jan 27, 11am – Installation to the Ministries of Lector and Acolyte – Jorge Contreras Garcis
- Saturday Jan 26, 9am – Australia Day Mass.
- Two assistant priests: Fr My Tran and Fr Roy John will join the Cathedral parish.
- Applications called for a part-time position – Sacramental Coordinator
Download pdf below for details and to read more parish news.
Baptism of the Lord
January 13 2019
Christmas time concludes
The Feast of the Baptism of Jesus brings to a close the Time of Christmas in the Church, and is the cross over day into what we call Ordinary Time. During 2019 the Sunday Gospel readings will be taken from that according to Matthew. Matthew, a Jewish Christian wrote for his own people, presenting Jesus as the new Moses – the one who brings the law of love of God and love of neighbour in a new and dynamic way. There is an emphasis in his Gospel on Jesus the Teacher – seen in the chapters he devotes to the Sermon of the Mount which begin with the Beatitudes, as well as the number of parables of Jesus which he records. Matthew invites us to listen to the word of Jesus, to reflect upon it and to put it into action.
Please download newsletter below to read about World Youth Day event and Mass and also catch up with more parish news.
YOUTH UNITED IN FAITH
World Youth Day Adelaide 2019 – Sunday January 27
Sacred Heart College, 195 Brighton Road, Somerton Park
Click here for further information about the festival or ticket sales.
Picture - above right - #FUN: Street teams will volunteer their time to run the different activities throughout the WYD festival. Pictured (L-R): Mary Aquilina, Shahani Wynter, Shireen de Souza, Maisie Henderson and Grace Frick. Front: Hannah Stavrou and Mary-Anne Maio.
Solemnity of the Epiphany of the Lord
January 6 2019
Every blessing for this New Year of 2019.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord let his face shine on you and be gracious to you.
May the Lord uncover his face to you and bring you peace.
(The Book of Numbers 6:23-26 – first reading, New Years Day, Solemnity of Mary, the Mother of God)
Picture: Icon in the Church over Jacob's Well Samaria, the Holy Land.
4th Sunday of Advent | Year C
December 23 2018
O Come, let us adore Him, Christ the Lord.
God never gives someone a gift they are not capable of receiving. If he gives us the gift of Christmas, it is because we all have the ability to understand and receive it. – Pope Francis
May the peaceful presence of the Christ Child bring to all parishioners and visitors an inner joy which enriches hope in the times of blessing and sustains hope in the times of trial and stress.
Picture: In Shepherd's Field Church, Bethlehem
3rd Sunday of Advent | Year C
December 16 2018
Family Christmas Eve Masses in the parish – December 24
6pm – St Francis Xavier Cathedral, St Peter Claver Church Dulwich, Queen of Angels Church Thebarton, St Mary’s Church Lower North Adelaide
6.30pm Holy Name Church, St Peter’s.
Inviting children to come dressed as Shepherds, Angels, Kings, and Emperors. Also asking for children to do the Readings and Prayers of the Faithful.
Practice at St Peter Claver Church, Dulwich – 12noon Sunday December 16
Practice at the Cathedral – 6.15pm Friday December 21.
All children and grandchildren are welcome.
Please download newsletter below for parish news.
2nd Sunday of Advent | Year C
December 9 2018
1st Sunday of Advent | December 2, 2018 | Year C