Communities in the Adelaide Cathedral Parish
The Adelaide Cathedral Parish is made up of five worship communities using the seven churches within the parish. These communities are:
The Cathedral community – St Francis Xavier Cathedral. The Cathedral is now open following repairs and the installation of a pipe organ. People come from the central city area but others travel from elsewhere in the metropolitan area to take part in Masses and to hear the playing of the magnificent 1927 Casavant Frères pipe organ. Many tourists and other visitors also come to the Cathedral. Several multicultural groups - Croatian, African, Indonesian, Portuguese use these churches.
St Peters – The community that worships at Holy Name Church in St Peters is diverse. There are Masses in English, Italian and Latin at various times of the week. Further information on the Latin Mass Community click here.
Lower North Adelaide – The small church of St Mary in Lower North Adelaide draws its congregation from the local area as well as nearby suburbs to the North East. Students from the university colleges are regular members. The church is popular for weddings for up to 150 guests.
Dulwich/Burnside – This community is served by two churches, St Peter Claver in Dulwich and St John Vianney in Burnside. The congregation comes from the eastern suburbs. There are many activities including choir, social justice St Vincent de Paul Conference, school holiday Kidz Club activities. In addition to a sewing group at St Peter Claver there is a knitting group which has operated for more than 10 years. The group makes more than100 rugs every year. Squares are knitted to make rugs for the homeless, The Otherway Centre and The Refugee Centre.
Thebarton – The community worshipping at Queen of Angels Thebarton is also diverse. English and Italian Masses are offered. Members come from the inner west area. There is Eucharistic Adoration after the 12noon Mass on Fridays.